Find out more about Website Builder Software
What is Website Builder Software?
Website builder software is utilized to construct websites without manual code editing. This type of software consists of two main categories:
Online proprietary programs offered by web hosting companies. These can be utilized by users to build their private site. Some vendors let the site owner to install alternative commercial or open source tools. Complex solutions of this type are also called Content Management Systems.
Offline software operates on a computer and builds and publishes web pages on any host. These are regarded as website design software rather than website builders. Start by checking our leader Wix, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Top 10 Most Popular Website Builder Software
Best Website Builder Software
How To Choose The Best Website Builder Software
Website builder software can be used by individuals as well as businesses to create websites to promote their services and products. But it can be a hard task to select the best website builder software given the many available programs. You can use this buyer’s guide to learn about the main features and factors to look for in your search for the best website builder software for your unique needs.
Get to know each product with free trial
We recommend you start by registering for the free trials offered by leading website builder software providers. This will enable you to do a comparison and learn which system is a good fit for your business needs. You can visit the websites of the following popular website builder software platforms to find out if they offer a free trial or demo: Squarespace, Wix, Weebly, OptimizePress, and Zoho Sites. We recommend these tools as they have been given high rankings in our website builder software reviews.
- Larger businesses can make use of advanced website builder software to create expensive programmed and custom-designed sites for their greater needs.
- Smaller companies, solo entrepreneurs, and individuals can subscribe to a free open source solution to create simple yet attractive websites.
Examples of Website Builder Software
- Squarespace: An all-in-one app for those looking to create an attractive website. The vendor offers eCommerce, domains, hosting, analytics, galleries, and 24/7 support.
- Wix: You can build a free website with Wix.com. Customize with the app’s free website builder without needing coding skills. Select a design, start customizing, and go online immediately.
- Weebly: Weebly makes it easy to construct a high-quality website, online store, or blog. More than 40 million people use this platform to bring their ideas to life.
- OptimizePress: The simple way to create sales pages, landing pages, and membership portals inside WordPress. You can build and edit your pages in real-time with the app’s LiveEditor system.
- Zoho Sites: Create a free website for any business with Zoho Sites. Every free website comes with a business email, free blog, and unlimited Web hosting.
Types of Website Builder Software
Desktop WYSIWYG software
What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG) software enables you to create a website in a similar manner to using a word processing app like Microsoft Word. You can add elements such as tables, images, and buttons with a few clicks without needing to edit the HTML. Another advantage is you can select from a wide range of pre-built templates and adapt them for your needs. Popular packages include CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer, NetObjects Fusion, and Serif WebPlus.
Content management systems
A content management system (CMS) enables you to add content to your website quickly and easily. Leading free open source CMS solutions such as WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla are used by millions of websites.
Online website building software
This type of software is similar to the WYSIWYG systems, except that everything is done online and you are not required to install anything on your computer. The new breed of online website builders such as Moonfruit, Squarespace, and BaseKit are adaptable and ideal for small businesses.
It pays to have a basic knowledge of HTML as you can make use of a number of free or affordable HTML templates that you can download and use for your needs. Plus, with HTML knowledge you can save costs as you can make changes yourself and don’t need to rely on others.
Key Features of Website Builder Software
- Point & click editing: With this feature creating a website is as easy to writing an email. Simply type and save to create your web page.
- Customizable templates: Most software offer hundreds of website design templates created for professional designers. You can select one that fits your business needs.
- Useful business tools: Enrich your web pages with tools such as message boards, autoresponders, newsletters, photo albums and more.
- Shopping cart: Online stores can make use of the shopping cart feature that offers calculators, shipping and tax, inventory management, integration with payment gateways and more.
- Search Engine Optimization: Popular packages offer SEO tools to make your website more visible on search engines to attract customers.
- Anywhere, anytime management: With online website builders, you can create your web pages from any internet-connected computer. All editing tools are online and there is no need for downloads or complex software.
- Visitor tracking and stats: Advanced systems offer data on where your visitors are coming from and what they do on your website.
Benefits of Website Builder Software
No coding knowledge needed
The main advantage of website builder software is you don’t need coding skills to create a website. All the HTML and scripts are built in the app and you don’t have to write them. Plus, you don’t need to testing to ensure all the inputs and parameters work properly.
You can create attractive websites
You need just a basic understanding of graphic design to create a visually appealing website. You can add images and graphs to the site to attract more traffic. Plus, you can use an online site to create your brand’s logo and upload it on your website to make it more interesting.
Create a user-friendly website
The website you create should be easy to use. If it is confusing or too sophisticated, visitors would not be able to interact properly and buy anything. You can select a template and customize it for your needs. Plus, ensure that both client-side and server-side functions work correctly.
The software is easy to use
With a good website builder, you can easily upgrade your content without needing to write code every time you wish to make a change to the website. Simply write text and add images in the back room area and they will be posted online where and how you want them. In short, using a quality website builder software solution is as simple as using word processing, spreadsheet, graphics and other common programs.
Responsive website design
Smartphones have become ubiquitous and for this reason your website needs to the look the same on any device. For this reason, responsive website design is important so that your visitors can have a great viewing experience on their mobile devices.
This design type offers more clarity to the website viewer. It is a difficult technique but it has become a trend as it makes it easier for visitors to understand the website’s directions and cues. As a result, the entire website offers intuitive navigation. This style has been used by Apple and Android in their software releases and hence has become familiar to mobile users.
Minimalism combined with micro-interactions
Micro-interactions are enabled by the user and they provide guidance and control, and make it a fun experience to view a website. Minimalist design ensures your website is uncluttered. Websites therefore need to combine these design trends to offer a great user experience that takes into account the short attention spans of visitors and their wish for quick gratification.
Lack of control
You have minimum control over your site’s layout because you use pre-made templates. In the case of some website builders, you need to start afresh if you wish to change the template after having entered the content.
Some web creators permit external ads on your website in important places. These can’t be avoided most times and if you wish to get rid of them you need to shell out extra money.
You need good understanding of aesthetics and style
Though you don’t need coding skills to use website builder software, you still need a good understanding of style to create an attractive website as you need to select an appealing layout, imagery, button style, color palette, and other crucial elements.
List of Website Builder Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our platform makes use of our proprietary SmartScore™ mode to gather information about all the solutions in the Website Builder Software category to help you decide on the best possible software. It analyzes the following aspects: cruscial modules, collaboration elements, custom elements, integrations with other services, simplicity, help & support, how secure a software is, mobility, ratings in media. As of now, Wix is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. After thorough research and analysis it had the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you consider it as one of the choices for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
A look at overall user satisfaction with the services in our Website Builder Software category based on our unique algorythm that collects user reviews, comments and opinions across a broad range of social media sites to help you make an informed investment choice.
Pricing Read More
Every vendor in the Website Builder Software category will offer a different set of pricing packages for its service and each plan will include a varied set of features. Below we list the general pricing for the most affordable plan available for each product. Please note that advanced features may cost extra.
Devices Supported Read More
An analysis of what kind of devices and operating systems are supported by all B2B services in the Website Builder Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Check what languages and countries are supported by the best B2B services in the Website Builder Software category, including spftware aimed at international markets and prepared for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Examine what pricing packages are offered by the vendors in the Website Builder Software category to see which one suits your business preferences and budget best. Note that some solutions can provide free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
An analysis of what types of companies a selected B2B solution in the Website Builder Software category provides for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what types of product deployement are supported by every B2B vendor in the Website Builder Software category. While almost all modern SaaS solutions are cloud-based some solutions may offer an on-site deployment model as well.